75 Years of Air Traffic Control in the Isle of Man 1937 - 2016
Military Radar and Air Defence Control in the 1940s & 1950s
Ronaldsway has served
as the airport for the Isle of Man since 1934 when a license was granted
for public transport operations from a large field on Ronaldsway farm,
in the south of the island. A rival northern airport was also established
at Close Lake to the west of Ramsey.
Named 'Hall Caine Airport'
after the famous Manx novelist, it operated from 1933 until 1937. During
WW2 Ronaldsway was
taken over first by
the RAF and then the Royal Navy but continued operating (with both military
and civil ATC) as the island's airport.
RAF Airfields were constructed
at Jurby and Andreas in the north of the island.
the Project Ronaldsway
ATC History Summary
Through the Decades
in more detail
1930s A wooden
building on the grass airfield
2010 - Purpose
built modern Control Tower