Runway 13 in 1945! The 'U' tarmac to the side of the runway was for
the 'Runway Control Van', an essential part of Air Traffic Control in those
days. The one this side of the taxiway was for the Ground Controlled
Approach (GCA) mobile radar trucks for Runway 31 (the opposite end)
The lines across
the ends of the runway are painted on 'arrester wires' for the trainee
Barracuda pilots to practice deck landings.